Question

Question 1 (5 points)True or False: Out of the three types of Flows, Earth Flows are the fastest.

 

Question 1 options:

TrueFalse

Question 2 (5 points)

 








Of all the water storage on Earth, ____ hold 97.2% of the water.

Question 2 options:


surface lakes and streams


groundwater


biosphere


glaciers and ice sheets


oceans

Question 3 (5 points)

 








True or False: Hillslopes are the zone in a landscape where weathering and detachment allow materials to begin eroding from high elevations to low elevation.

Question 3 options:

TrueFalse


Question 5 (5 points)

 








True or False: Hillslopes are defined as sudden, abrupt changes in slope within a landscape that create vertical relief.

Question 5 options:

TrueFalse

Question 6 (5 points)

 








The strength of hydrogen bonds between water molecules allows water to have ______, which is why it forms droplets and does not stay flat.

Question 6 options:


condensation


precipitation


surface tension


viscosity


none of these are correct answers

Question 7 (5 points)

 








A _____ can be defined as the area drained by a stream and all of its tributaries.

Question 7 options:


an aquifer


an aquiclude


a drainage basin


a drainage divide


none of these are correct

Question 8 (5 points)

 








____ is defined as the connectedness of pore space between grains of soil or sediment. In other words, the pathways between grains of soil and sediment through which water can flow.

Question 8 options:


permeability


porosity


capillary water


gravity water


water table

Question 9 (5 points)

 








True or False: Of all the water on Earth, less than 1% of water is immediately accessible to consume.

Question 9 options:

TrueFalse

Question 10 (5 points)

 








Which of the following is NOT a typical drainage pattern within a drainage basin?

Question 10 options:


dendritic


trellis


radial


rectangular


spiral

Answer & Explanation
Verified Solved by verified expert

The solution is given below:

Plzzz like if you find this helpful

Step-by-step explanation

1. False : Debris Avalanches (Landslides) are the fastest of all unconsolidated flows. It can be extremely destructive as it involves huge masses of falling rock and other debris that break up and crumble on impact. Earthflow is a sheet or stream of soil and rock material saturated with water which flows down under the pull of gravity. It may be relatively slower or very faster, depending upon the amount of water present, slope angle, and other aspects of the terrain.

 

2. Oceans : The oceancontributes about 97 percent of the Earth's water while the remaining three percent is found in glaciers and ice, below the ground, in rivers and lakes.

 

3. True : Hillslopes basically account for the flanks of valleys and the margins of eroding uplands. They are the major zones where rock and soil are loosened by weathering processes and then they are carried downward through the slope, often to a river channel.

 

5. False : Hillslopes have the sloping structure but there is not any sudden, abrupt change in the sloping angle.

 

6. Viscosity : The property of cohesion is basically defined as the ability of water molecules to be attracted to other water molecules, which allows water to be a "sticky" liquid.

 

7. A Drainage basin : A drainage basin is basically any area of land where precipitation collects and drains off into a common outlet, such as into a river, bay, or other waterbodies.

 

8. Porosity : The porosity of soil and sediments is primarily the open pore spaces between grains. In the material like gravel, the grains are large and hence, there is lots of empty spaces between them, as they have angularity or spherical shape.

 

9. True : The earth hashuge amount of water, but unfortunately, only a small percentage (i.e, about 0.3 percent), is usable by humans. The other 99.7 percent is in the oceans, soils, icecaps, and floating in the atmosphere.

 

10. Spiral : There are basically 4 types of drainage patterns on the basis of their flowing pattern-

  1. dendritic
  2. Trellis
  3. Radial and 
  4. Rectangular.