The U.S. Citizenship Test may have a section on the Statue of Liberty. Read the following passage and test your knowledge about American history in two ways: Speak the answer and write down the answer. Written and oral tests play a large part in the U.S. Citizenship Test.
The Statue of Liberty
The Statue of Liberty stands on a pedestal on Liberty Island in New York Harbor. It is one of the first things that immigrants to this country see when they arrive. It is a symbol of America and freedom. And it serves as an inspiration for all who seek liberty.
It was a gift from the people of France to celebrate America's 100th birthday. The statue symbolized the friendship and support France had given to this nation during the Revolutionary War.
The sculptor, Bartholdi, was commissioned to design the statue in 1876. It is made of copper plates, which were laid over a framework designed by Alexandre Eiffel. Eiffel was the designer for the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
The Statue of Liberty was finally erected 10 years late. On October 28, 1886, it was officially dedicated before a crowd of thousands of spectators.
Question and answer test
The answers appear immediately below the questions.
- From what nation was the Statue of Liberty a gift?
- From what kind of metal was the statue made?
- What does the Statue of Liberty stand on?
- What is one of the first things immigrants see when they arrive in New York harbor?
- What was the statue supposed to celebrate?
- Who was commissioned to design the statue?
- What did Eiffel design?
- What year was the statue dedicated?
- What is the name of the island where the statue stands?
Answers: (1) France, (2) copper, (3) pedestal, (4) Statue of Liberty, (5) 100th birthday of America, (6) Bartholdi, (7) framework of the statue, (8) 1886, (9) Liberty Island
True or false test
Answer true if the sentence is correct. Answer false if the sentence is incorrect.
- The Statue of Liberty stands in Boston Harbor.
- The Statue of Liberty is a symbol of freedom and America.
- The statue was a gift from the English people.
- The statue symbolizes the friendship of France during the Revolutionary War.
- A German immigrant was commissioned to design the statue.
- The skin of the statue is made of wooden plates.
- Alexandre Eiffel designed the framework of the statue.
- The Statue of Liberty was dedicated one year late.
- The Statue of Liberty is located on Liberty Island.
Answers: (1) False, (2) True, (3) False, (4) True, (5) False, (6) False, (7) True, (8) False, (9) True