Mixed Numbers

When a term contains both a whole number (3, 8, 25, and so on) and a fraction  , the term is called a mixed number. For instance,   and   are both mixed numbers.

Changing improper fractions

To change an improper fraction to a mixed number, you divide the denominator into the numerator.

Example 1

Change   to a mixed number.

Changing mixed numbers

To change a mixed number to an improper fraction, you multiply the denominator times the whole number, add in the numerator, and put the total over the original denominator.

Example 2

Change   to an improper fraction.

Back to Top