1. What is the significance of the legend of the d'Urberville Coach?
2. Outline the differences between Talbothays Dairy and Flintcomb-Ash.
3. Discuss the differences found in Angel Clare and Alec d'Urberville.
4. How is the novel an indictment of the class system of English society near the end of the 19th century?
5. How do nature and fate play a role in this novel?
6. Are there any fundamental contrasts between the Durbeyfields and the d'Urbervilles as we come to know them?
7. Describe the relationship of Angel to his father, Reverend Clare, and Angel with his brothers.
8. How does the novel begin? Does Hardy use a natural or seemingly invented device to start the book?