1. Discuss Quentin as a defeated idealist.
2. Discuss Benjy as a Christ figure and Jason as a satanic figure.
3. Discuss the interrelationships of the various members of the Compson family.
4. How is Dilsey portrayed as the strongest figure to emerge from the novel?
5. Discuss Faulkner's use of "free association" in the Benjy section.
6. Justify the omission of Caddy as a narrator.
7. What are the contributing factors to Quentin's suicide?
8. How does each character's reaction to the past and the present affect his characterization?
9. Discuss each brother's opinion of Caddy.
10. Write an essay explaining how the breakup of this southern family might apply to any family in the United States.