1. Justify Hawthorne's including The Custom House preface as part of the novel.
2. Discuss how Hawthorne uses the setting in Chapter 1 to set the mood for his story.
3. Discuss the function of the following minor characters: Mistress Hibbins, Governor Bellingham, and Mr. Wilson.
4. Explain the evolving or static nature of one of the main characters.
5. Justify the use of the last chapter, "Conclusion."
6. Discuss the conflict between the Puritan law and the laws of nature or human law.
7. Explain the significance of the three scaffold scenes.
8. Using Hawthorne's symbols, demonstrate how they change in the context of the novel.
9. How do their reactions to sin make significant contributions to the changes and futures of the main characters?