1. How does Siddhartha's life with the Samanas condition him for his process of self-recognition?
2. What is the function of the river and of Vasudeva in this novel?
3. Discuss the father-son theme.
4. Examine the process of synthesis as it relates to Hesse's contact with Jungianism and relate its thematic influence in a selected novel.
5. Examine Hesse's treatment of time lapses in this novel, focusing on the close-up technique for extending short spans of time, and the "telephoto" effect for foreshortening long spans of time.
6. Siddhartha and Buddha both eventually attain Nirvana. However, the way that each achieves it is different. Explain the difference, relating this to the reason for Siddhartha's not following the Buddha.
7. What is the function of Kamala in the novel?