1. Describe the qualities of Machiavelli's ideal prince. What characteristics should a prince possess, and how should a prince behave?
2. Discuss the concept of fortuna. How does Machiavelli use this term? What can be done to resist fortuna?
3. Examine the instances in which Machiavelli discuss "the people." What is his attitude toward the people and their interests? How does he portray them? How does he portray their opposites, the nobles?
4. Describe Machiavelli's concept of free will. How is virtù involved in this concept? According to Machiavelli, to what extent can free will be effectively exercised?
5. Why is the prince's public image important to Machiavelli? What should a prince do to maintain a good reputation? How should the prince present himself to the people he rules?