1. Describe the course of Iago's deception of Othello, showing which incidents were planned and which were opportunistic. Does Iago succeed by skill or by luck?
2. Discuss how age, social position, and race impact the relationship between Othello and Desdemona.
3. A tragedy concerns the fall of a great man due to some flaw in his character. What is Othello's flaw, and explain how he is truly a tragic hero.
4. What are possible motives for Iago's hatred of Othello? Consider both the motives he states and the motives implied in his speech and behavior.
5. In addition to exposing the prejudices of Venetians, discuss how the play also exposes the prejudices of the audience.