1. The play takes place between 2 a.m. and dawn. Is the time significant, then, in terms of the events of the night?
2. How can you account for the lack of interaction between Martha and Honey?
3. Do you think most relationships are characterized by various types of game-playing? Why or why not? Are games always harmful?
4. What are the elements of a tragedy? Does this play qualify as a tragic drama?
5. Do you believe that personalities are "inherent" or that "events shape people?" Discuss each character in terms of how each is portrayed and whether or not there are reasons for each character's present situation.
6. What does Honey learn from her exposure to George and Martha?
7. Do you approve of Nick's ambition?
8. What does the title of the play mean?