1. What motivates the governess to accept such an unusual position?
2. Describe the circumstances surrounding each appearance of an apparition.
3. How does Mrs. Grose come to believe in the presence of the ghosts?
4 Why does James emphasize so strongly the sweetness and innocence of the children?
5. Why does the governess fail to investigate Miles' expulsion from school?
6. What is gained by having the governess relate the story?
7. How do you account for little Flora's illness at the end of the story?
8. What does the governess think of her employer?
9. Is it important that this was the governess' first position?
10. How responsible is the governess for the fate of the children?