1. Select two sonnets from each of the two major divisions (Sonnets 1–126 and 127–154). How do they differ in mood and the treatment of love?
2. Which sonnets do you find most shocking, and why?
3. In the sonnets, what views does Shakespeare express regarding the nature of true love and the miseries of misguided love?
4. Write an essay in which you discuss the poet's changing attitudes toward the young man.
5. How does the poet's love for the young man differ from his love for the Dark Lady?
6. How does Shakespeare indicate that time may be conquered? How do the sonnets themselves indicate that time may be conquered?
7. Discuss the theme of immortality as presented in the sonnets, citing specific lines as support for your views.
8. What role does nature play in the sonnets? Is nature linked with one specific theme? If so, which theme, and how?