1. Discuss the significance of the heroic code of comitatus in Beowulf, considering specifically the actions of Beowulf as a young warrior, Wiglaf as a young warrior, and the cowardly retainers at the dragon fight.
2. Consider two of the following as symbols: Heorot, Grendel's claw, the cave, or the dragon's treasure-hoard.
3. How does the poet use the theme of revenge in the poem? Consider the motivation of characters such as Grendel, Grendel's mother, and the dragon, as well as Beowulf.
4. Other than Beowulf, who is your favorite character in the poem? Why?
5. What is the importance of Hrothgar's sermon? Cite at least two specific points that he makes and how they affect our understanding of Beowulf.