Well, you've certainly gotten yourself into a pickle! But, rest assured, you're not alone; plenty of your fellow students often find it difficult to manage their time effectively.
In order to catch up on your assignments, you need to realize a few things. The first is that you won't be able to accomplish everything in one sitting; it'll take a while, but you can do it. The second is that you'll have to make some sacrifices in your personal life to catch up (which means no going out with your friends for the time being). The last thing you need to realize is that life will be hectic until you are caught up. If you can keep focused on what you have to do, you can get through this hectic time quickly. In a nutshell, here's what you need to do to get back on track:
- Set a regular time to study. Treat your study time like an appointment you can't get out of. Moreover, stick to your schedule; once you start missing your study appointments, it'll be even more difficult to catch up.
- Prioritize what you need to do first. For example, concentrate first on the material that you're going to be tested on sooner, or if you know a particular teacher is a stickler for class participation, make that material a priority so that you're prepared for class discussion.
- Study in a place where there are minimal distractions. Your bedroom may not be the best place to study because the phone could ring or your little brother or sister could come in and bug you. You may want to find a quiet corner in the library to study.
- Don't overdo it. Your brain can hold only so much information. When you feel like you've hit the wall and your brain can't absorb any more, quit for the night, and pick up where you left off the next night.
- Take pleasure in your accomplishments. No doubt about it: Studying can be a drag, and catching up on studying adds an element of stress to it. If you like the feeling of accomplishment, then make a list of all the things you need to do, and then take great pleasure in crossing off each entry as you complete it. Your satisfaction in completing your assignments will help relieve the stress of the situation.